Sunday, November 21, 2010

‘Avatar’ sequel filming starts 2011

After waffling on the issue just a week ago, James Cameron has now committed to doing two Avatar sequels as his next film project, the studio bosses at Fox Filmed Entertainment announced Wednesday.

Just last week, in an interview with QMI Agency, Cameron said he might make another movie first while developing the sophisticated technology he believes he needs to make Avatars II and III more spectacular than the original. But he has now confirmed that he will go straight ahead with the sequels, which will be shot at the same time starting in 2011.

Release dates are tentatively set for December 2014 and December 2015.

Fox co-chairmen Tom Rothman and Jim Gianopulos said in a joint statement that they are excited. “We had no higher priority, and can feel no greater joy, than enabling Jim to continue and expand his vision of the world of Avatar. This is a great day in the history of our company.”

Calling his work on Avatar “an epic journey,” Cameron said of his sequels: “It is a rare and remarkable opportunity when a filmmaker gets to build a fantasy world, and watch it grow, with the resources and partnership of a global media company.”